Thinking that you may need an expensive heating or cooling repair can be frustrating and concerning. The timing is never great, yet a properly functioning system is critical to your family’s comfort.
Below are a few tips on what to consider before calling for HVAC repair services. Excel comfort advisors are always happy to take your call, 24 hours a day, but checking on these 5 important points might keep you from needing a visit.
- Check your air filter. If it hasn’t been replaced in awhile, or especially if it looks dirty, swap out the old filter for a new one and and allow your system to run for a few hours. If nothing improves, go ahead and give us a call.
- Check circuit breakers and switches. This might seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes power switches and breakers can be turned off by accident. If breakers were recently turned off for some other maintenance, perhaps HVAC breakers were flipped by accident. A tripped HVAC breaker, however, might be an indication of a larger problem.
- Check vents, grills, and air registers for blockage. Furniture that has been moved in front of an air register can create problems for the HVAC system. Make sure nothing is blocking vents or grills, and that sufficient air flow is possible.
- Make sure there is fuel in the tank. Make sure the lack of heat isn’t due to not having fuel in the tanks. This applies to oil and propane heating systems in the winter time. If the tanks have run dry, first call the the oil or propane supplier, but know that you may need to give us a call to bleed the lines due to issues from running the tank dry.
- Contact the landlord or property manager FIRST. If you are renting your property, the landlord, owner, or property manager needs to be contacted first, before the service technicians. At Excel Heating and Cooling, we won’t work on a system without owner approval.
We are available 24/7 for emergency HVAC repair service in Harrisonburg, but if you have the time and the situation permits, using this checklist before making the service call could end up saving you time and money.
HVAC Service Call
If after going through this checklist the HVAC issue still persists or hasn’t been diagnosed, please give us a call to schedule service. If after hours, we can be reached 24/7 by calling (540) 509-1180. After giving us a call, you might be interested to read more about what to do after placing a service call. We look forward to assisting you with all your HVAC service and installation needs in Harrisonburg, Virginia. To read more about this checklist, visit the LiveHB’s HVAC Repair Checklist page, which includes an interview with our very own Jay Monger.